Updated: May 17, 2013
It is not only important what we put in our body, but also what we put on our body every day that can cause us to feel yucky and can effect our health. So, here is a guide to buying safe, non-toxic (or as close to it as possible) beauty products.
Where to get information on natural cosmetics:
- No More Dirty Looks by Alexandra Spunt and Siobhan O’Connor – this is an eye-opening book about the toxic beauty products we now use, why they are so bad for our health, why nobody told us they were, and recommendations for the best all-natural beauty products as well as great beauty pointers.
- www.nomoredirtylooks.com – this is the No More Dirty Looks website on all-natural beauty products
- www.ewg.org/skindeep/ - The Environmental Worker’s Group ranks many beauty products on their toxicity level. This is awesome for checking to see how toxic or safe products are before you buy them (or to make you throw out your old products pronto!)
Products I Own:
For Cleaning Face and Body:
- Avalon Organics Face Wash – This makes your face feel so soft!
- Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps – I like lavender the best.
- Spry toothpaste – It’s the only natural toothpaste I’ve found that doesn’t contain carrageenan. Spry also has tasty gum and mints in larger containers (contain 30 pieces of gum and 45 mints).
- Eye Makeup Remover: I just use jojoba oil with a washcloth.
- Deodorant – I have had lots of trouble finding a good, clean, safe deodorant that actually keeps me smelling fresh and keeps me dry! I have tried DIY deodorant, Burt’s Bees, Toms of Maine, Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal, Jason Aloe Vera Pure Natural Deodorant Stick before I finally found one I love: Soapwalla Deodorant Cream. The downside, you have to order it online.
- Avalon Organics Face Lotion – I like this lotion, but I don’t love the Lavender smell. I think I’ll t
- Body Lotion – I use just plain coconut oil. My sister-in-law uses coconut oil + avocado oil + vitamin E. It sounds great and will have to try it myself soon!
- Lavera Self-Tanning Lotion – I haven’t used this enough yet to give a review, but I’ve heard good things about it.
- Aubrey Organics Natural Sunblock – this sunblock works just as well as the chemical-filled brands. I also have tried just using coconut oil and it seemed to work.
- Shampoo: I make my own shampoo using coconut milk, liquid castile soap, and essential oils.
- Conditioner: I use apple cider vinegar.
- Giovanni Mousse – It is reasonably priced and works well for my curly hair.
- Bare Minerals Foundation and Bronzer– I have used these products for a long time, but I have read recently in No More Dirty Looks that it can cause some people to break out. When this runs out, I’m going to try a DIY foundation.
- Gabriel Blush – color: Petal. I like this, too.
- EcoTools Makeup Brushes – these work great.
- Dr. Hauschka Mascara – I love this.
- Jane Iredale Eyeliner Pencil – color: Black/Grey – I really like this pencil – works just like the chemical brands.
- Jane Iredale Eyeshadow – I don’t wear eyeshadow often, but I have these for when I do. My only problem with them is they are a little sparkly which is not for me.
- Yes To Carrots Lip gloss – color: Playful Nude. I like this a lot. Sometimes, I just use coconut oil.
- Nails – most of the time, I just shape my nails with a file and put jojoba or olive oil on them to make them look healthy and shiny. I love it.
Keeki nail polish – they don’t have the greatest color selection, but I love the color I got: Hot Cocoa. When I do wear nail polish, this is what I wear. Keeki nail polish remover – this doesn’t work so well. I’ll be on the lookout for a different nontoxic remover.
Other Recommended Products:
*Many of these recommendations are from No More Dirty Looks. To see specific product recommendations or for all product recommendations, you should purchase the book.
- Shampoo – Aubrey, John Masters, Alaffia, Giovanni
- Conditioner – Aubrey, John Masters, Intelligent Nutrients, Giovanni
- Hair Products – Aubrey’s, Yarok, John Masters, Simply Organic, Intelligent Nutrients, E-sen-cia, Avalon Organics
- Soaps - Whole Foods Organic Soap, Pangea
- Deodorant – Jason, Lavanila, Weleda
- Cleansers - Ren, Evan Healy, Patyka Organic, Kahina’s
- Body Wash – Ren
- Toners – Evan Healy, John Masters, Elique Organic
- Exfoliants and Peels – Dr. Hauschka, Juice Beauty, Arcona
- Shaving Creams and Waxing – Tom’s of Maine, Dr. Bronner’s, Moom Organic
- Moisturizers - Evan Healy, Juice Beauty, Ren, Alba, Yes To, Weleda, Lavera, Jane Iredale
- Serums and Anti-Agers – John Masters, Dr. Andrew Weil, Kahina
- Body Lotions – Dr. Hauschka, Elemental Herbology, Juice Beauty, Weleda, Lavera, Yes To, J.R. Watkins
- Stretch Marks – Dr. Hauschka, Weleda’s Skin Food
- Facial Sunscreen – John Masters, Jurlique, Soleo Organics
- Body Sunscreen – Soleo Organics, Lavera
- Blemish washes – Organic Apoteke, Arcona
- Masks – Elique, Evan Healy
- General Makeup Brands – Physician’s Formula, Almay Pure, Lavera
- Foundations and Concealers – Nvey Eco Organic, W3LL People
- Mineral Powders – Laura Mercier, Jane Iredale, Alima Pure
- Bronzers and Luminizers – RMS Beauty, Josie Maran, Physicians Formula
- Blush – Vapour Organic, Dr. Hauschka, Alima Pure
- Mascara – Faerie Organic, Couleur Caramel, Josie Maran, Jane Iredale, Real Purity
- Lips – RMS, All the Better to Kiss You With, Couleur Caramel, Josie Maran, Juice Organic, Intelligent Nutrients
- Eyeliners/Shadows – Suki, Alima Pure, Josie Maran
- Nail Polish – Priti, Zoya, Acquarella, Honeybee Gardens, Scotch Naturals
- Nail Polish Remover – Priti, Karma Organic, Honeybee Gardens, Suncoat Naturals
- Perfume – Tsi-La, Intelligent Nutrients, InFiore, EOV (Essence of Vali)
- Bug spray – Repel, Cutter, Coleman Botanicals
And don’t forget DIY Natural Beauty Products! To see how, go here:
Where to buy all-natural beauty products:
- To see pictures of my favorite products, go here: Stuff I Love. If you click on the pictures, it will take you straight to Amazon where you can purchase them today!
- Whole Foods – Whole Foods has the best selection of all-natural products that I’ve found
- Kroger Nature’s Market
- Rite Aid
- Walmart – even Walmart has a natural products section now!
- Your local health food store
- If you can’t find certain products at any of these stores, you can buy them online
It is a process to change all of the beauty products you know and love to natural products. It took me around 6 to 8 months to make the whole transition. Start out by getting rid of the product you use most first, because it is the one that would affect you the most health-wise. For me, that was my mousse. At first, it was very sad to say goodbye to my Finesse mousse, which I have used since I was in high school, but after a couple weeks of using Giovanni mousse, I forgot all about it. The authors of No More Dirty Looks recommend getting rid of your body lotion first because it covers the most area. Since I don’t use body lotion every day, I purchased a cleaner body lotion soon after learning about the importance of natural products, but it was not my first purchase.
Good luck finding the products you love!