There’s so much talk about supplements nowadays, it’s hard to know what you should be taking, how much, and the best, top-quality brands to get. So, I will do my best to help answer some questions regarding this topic.
What should I be taking and how much? Most, if not all, people would benefit from taking the following supplements:
- Multivitamin, in case your diet is lacking in any vitamins or minerals. I get multivitamins that only need to be taken once a day for convenience reasons.
- Vitamin D3, especially if you live in cold weather during the winter months. D3 comes primarily from the sun. It is also added to plant-based milks, some healthy protein powders (such as Raw Protein), and it can be found in salmon. The recommended dosage is 4000 IUs in the winter and 1000-2000 IUs in the summer. Check your multivitamin, and if there’s not enough, you may need to get extra especially in the wintertime.
- Flaxseed Oil. Unless you are able to get high-quality fish oil, such as from a holistic doctor’s office, I would recommend taking flaxseed oil capsules to obtain your essential fatty acids (i.e., Omega-3, -6, and -9). The fish oil in standard brands is often contaminated with heavy metals, such as mercury which is unhealthy for anyone, especially those that are pregnant. The brand I use is pictured below.
- B vitamins. If you’re vegan you’ll want to supplement your diet with Vitamin B12, and whether you’re vegan or not, a Vitamin B-Complex supplement is good to make sure you’re getting enough B vitamins (if you’re not, a good indicator is sluggishness or lack of energy). I take a Vitamin B-Complex (which you’ll especially want to take if you’re pregnant or planning on getting pregnant). B vitamins are water soluble, so you’ll never have to worry about getting too much. (You will notice your urine will be bright yellow).
- Probiotics. Probiotics are great for digestive health. It increases the good bacteria in the gut which helps to cleanse the colon. What you’ll want to look for is good bacteria in the billions. The probiotic I take (pictured below) has 28 billion good bacteria (14 billion per capsule), and I’ve heard even more than that is better!
What is important to look for in supplements and what are some good brands? I always make sure my supplements are vegan/vegetarian, gluten-free, organic and made from whole foods when possible. All of the brands listed below are great sources of vitamins (especially the first three).
Gold Medal Winner: MegaFood
Silver Medal Winners: New Chapter and Vitamin Code
Bronze Medal: Rainbow Light
What supplements do you use, and which brands do you like the best?